Tiberius the Techie
12/25/2012 – Merry Christmas!
We have conquered yet another Christmas. Geek out to these awesome wallpapers!
12/23/2012 – Ain’t no party like a geek party
Everyone knows that a party isn’t a Par-Tay till the first Instagram photo has been posted. Oh, course I’m usually in costume, I can’t have anyone tagging me after all.
Here are some of my best party tips:
- Party Invites with a geek flourish
- Send someone out to personally invite your attendees. This is better if they are dressed in a party them character costume. More points if they jump out & surprise them.
- Who doesn’t like getting E-Mail? Create an invite using lots of pictures to share the party theme or you can be lame & send out a standard e-vite.
- Send an old school decoder ring & a coded message.
- An invitation in Elvish, Pig Latin, .Net and Morse code on an old scroll and delivered in your favorite bottle type. (We are fans of Mountain Dew)
- Have a Big Entrance
- Hang instructions outside the door, informing guests to come in using a different language preferably Klingon if it’s Star Trek themed.
- Set up a set of “obstacles” that they must make it through before reaching your door.
- Did I mention costumes
- Every Party is better with a theme and themes mean costumes.
- Precious…My Precious….
- Everyone has a little Gollum inside them and wants something pretty. I recommend offering a few prizes for your party & be sure to tell people that prizes will be awarded.
- Music- Some of my top Geek inspired songs:
- Weezer- Buddy Holly- Truly a celebration of geek culture & what better song to perfect your attitude to the rest of the population- “I don’t care about that”
- Weird Al- White & Nerdy- Despite his recent foray into celebrity done wrong, Weird Al really is the gansta of all geeks. This song gives a nod to some of the best techies & geeks- Hawking, Java, D&D, Minesweeper & more
- Thomas Dolby- She Blinded me with Science- Ok, I’ve mentioned this before. This is one of my all-time favorite songs. There are so few songs about the love of a lady’s brain instead of her beauty. Mind Candy forever.
- DJ Dave- Put your Phone Down…Though honestly I dig most of DJ Dave’s songs.
- MC Chris- Fett’s ‘Vette. This one shouldn’t need explanation. If you do need explanation, please stop reading this blog.
- White Wampa Party- Basically like a Dirty Santa party but be sure that they bring better gifts then your grandpa’s sweater, not everyone can be Macklemore.
- Board Games- Apples to Apples, Settlers of Catan, Seafarers of Catan, Magic the Gathering, Risk, Clue, Scrabble, Stratego & Stratos.
- Food eating contest- We prefer candy eating contests but hey do your thing.
- Watching Movies but only if you can count who knows the most lines. My movie recommendations are as follows (I left out the obvious ones- Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc)-
- War games- Trying to unlock a video game to only find out you set off a nuclear apocalypse? What could go wrong in this movie?
- Tron- You actually becomes part of the game you built and have to beat the Master Control- It’s The Wall for those over the influence.
- Office Space- Who hasn’t had the desire to beat the copy machine.
- Battle Royale- Similar to the Hunger Games but so much cooler since some od the weapons were useless and it’s a Japanese cult classic
- Shaun of the Dead/Zombieland (Double Feature) – Simon Pegg orBill Murray & Zombies. What’s not to like?
- Monty Python & the Holy Grail -I haven’t been making enough Python references so I had to list the most quotable movie of all time.
- Killer Clowns from Outer Space- I can’t get enough of this B Horror Flick. Who doesn’t like Cotton Candy pods?
Let me know if these helped & if you have some of your own tips, be sure to share below.
12/20/2012 – Last minute shopping
I’ve been warning you that the Holiday was quickly approaching and now your time is almost up. It’s time to choose your own adventure. Will it be the Frogger –esque trip to the Mall or will you’ll show support to the post office and order something to be delivered.
Here are my tips to make the most of the next 24 hours.
Order Online & have Mr. Post person deliver the goods.
- Amazon- Free 2 day shipping if you are a Prime Member
- Zappos – Known for their Claus like tendencies. Zappos team of Elves will do everything they can do to get your delivery to you by 12/24.
If you still want to shop online but don’t want to trust your local post office. I recommend checking out the In Store Pickup options listed below:
- Best Buy- Dec 20th by 1 pm ET (express) & you can pick up in the store by noon on 12/24
- Game Stop- Order Online & Pick Up in Store
- Apple- Be sure to look for the pickup button in your cart to see if your purchase qualifies.
If you actually keep your printer stocked with ink…Try the digital gift:
- Amazon Kindle Store or Barnes and Noble- Choose a specific option or purchase a printable card with gift code.
- Google Play Store: Wal-Mart offers E-Mail Delivery for multiple gift cards. Print, Cut & Wrap under the tree.
Good Luck with your quest for the perfect gift.
12/13/2012 – May the drinks be with you
f you have to attend a Holiday Party this year, it’s only polite to come with a gift. We recommend bringing alcohol to make your favorite drink. Here are my recommendations based on some of my go to movies. Be sure to mention the name of the drink as you are creating it so you can figure out who is interesting and who you should avoid like the Plague or Twihards, your choice of reference.
- Harry Potter Inspired
- ButterBeer (Light)
- 1 part Butterscotch Schnapps
- 1 dash Vanilla Schnapps
- 7 parts cream soda
- Add both the Vanilla & Butterscotch Schnapps & pour in cold cream soda, stir gently
- ButterBeer (Dark)
- 1 part Butterscotch Schnapps
- 1 part Vanilla Schnapps
- 7 parts root beer
- Add both the Vanilla & Butterscotch Schnapps & pour in rootbeer, stir gently
- Game of Thrones
- A Lannister always pays his debts
- 1 part Goldschlager
- 2 parts Ginger Ale
- Garnish with a cherry
- Blood of the Dragon
- Three Olives Cherry Vodka
- Cranberry Grape Juice
- Triple Sec
- Hunger Games (If you want to impress a gal)
- Haymitch- Whiskey Straight
- President Snow
- 20 oz. of Vodka
- 10 oz. of Coffee Liquor
- Light Cream
- 1 drop of grenadine
- Doctor Who
- The 10th Doctors Sonic Screwdriver
- 3 oz. Vanilla Vodka
- 3 oz. Blue Curacao Liquor
- 12 oz. orange flavored sparkling water, well chilled.
- Star Trek
- The Red Shirt
- 1 maraschino cherry
- Splash of Grenadine
- 2 parts Marshmallow Vodka
- Beam me up, Scotchie
- 2 oz. Scotch
- 1 oz. of Vanilla liqueur
- Roasted Figs
- Muddle figs, vanilla liqueur & Scotch. Strain out fig seeds. Serve in a cocktail glass over ice.
- Star Wars
- Finding Yoda
- 1 oz. lemon/lime soda
- .5 oz. Lemon juice
- 1 oz. tequila
- Mix into shot & do
- Storm Trooper
- 6 oz. of Milk
- 2 oz. of Coconut Rum
- 2 oz. of Vodka
- Mix together with crushed ice in a glass and garnish with mint leaves.
- The Hobbit
- 2 oz. of Apple Juice
- 1 oz. of Gin
- 1 oz. of Rum
- 1 oz. of Tequila
- Mix together with crushed ice in a glass and garnish with mint leaves
12-6-2012 - World Domination from your phone
One of my favorite shows as a kid was “Pinky & the Brain” and each night Pinkie would ask, “Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?” and Brain would reply, “The same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world.” If your goals are similar to our childhood friend Brain, you may need some help.
Here are my suggestions of some things that you may need to “Take over the world:”
- Nothing ruins a good plan like sickness.
- - Check out this app called ClickClinica from researchers at Liverpool University. It brings together guidelines for handling medical issues, from bodies such as the World Health Organization (WHO) and the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) so doctors can check best practice before treating their patients. The cooler aspect of this app is that it records what symptoms patients have and the treatment they provided, which when used by multiple people around the world can actually act as a real-time global disease surveillance. Now, all you have to do is pay attention and avoid the places where a sickness has been posted. (iOS)
- - If you want to see an interesting way to watch how sicknesses can evolve while improving your strategic thinking, be sure to download Plague the game. In this game you must bring about the end of human history by evolving a deadly, global plague while adapting against everything humanity can do to defend itself. (iOS and Android)
- Mind control might be something you should master.
- - The new Muse Headband monitors your brainwaves and eventually could be used to control things with your mind. It was developed by InterAxon as a way to monitor what’s going on inside your head (though you really don’t want a peek into my brain). Coupled with a mobile app using Bluetooth, muse can be used to focus your mind, train your brain and improve thought control. However, Muse hasn’t moved into production yet.
- - While we are waiting for Muse, check out the kids’ game, Mindflex.
- - You can also reward your brain by checking out this fun Ted Talk from Tom Chatfield. Who says brain training can’t be fun?
- Invisibility seemed to help Harry Potter and the Invisible Man with their missions; so it may prove useful to you.
- - Believe it or not, scientists from Tufts and Boston University claim to have invented the world’s first pliable invisibility cloak. It’s made from silk and coated in gold. The meta-material only works at terahertz frequencies between radio and infrared light on the electromagnetic spectrum. If you want to learn more about this new technology, check out the July issue of Advanced Materials.
- - If you aren’t ready to wait for the scientists to mass produce the cloak, maybe this fun app will help: Invisibility.
- - Check out this video showing the work being done for the military.
I hope these tips help you in your quest for world domination. Though, it’s probably a lot easier to dominate World of Warcraft.
11/26 – If the Mayans are right…
then come 12/21 we might all need some serious protection. You can get mine here.
Whether you are fearful that the Mayans may have known that we would change our calendar and the end of the world may still happen, you’ve just lost faith in humanity after seeing that Black Friday incident in Georgia, or you are a double agent channeling Spy vs. Spy, I’ll help protect you.
Here are some fun things to use with your very favorite mobile device:
- Protection from Viruses:
- Keep safe with the Lookout Security & Antivirus app. It is so much more than a malware app. It has a user-schedulable anti-virus scan, as well as auto scanning on new apps and files when they are downloaded. It allows you to locate a lost or stolen phone on a Google map and activate a loud alarm to help find the device (Almost like your own personal sonic screwdriver calling the Tardis). It also has the ability to back up and restore your contact list. Available on the Android Store.
- Secure VoIP calls:
- Kryptos is a great app for those afraid the “man” might be listening. It’s a Voice over IP (VoIP) app that is intended to provide military-grade AES-encrypted phone calls. However, both parties must be using the Kryptos app to make a receive calls. The app is free but the service is $10 a month. Really not a bad deal if you have such dark secrets. Available on the Android, Blackberry & Apple app stores
- Protection from Nefarious QR Codes:
- We know you love using those dandy little black and white pixelated boxes known as QR codes. They are on everything from the latest Hobbit Movie poster to OtterBox packaging. But, did you know it’s quite easy to turn those little portals of information to the dark side. Don’t let the dark side win and download this fun little app from our friends at Norton Antivirus. Norton Snap is a free QR reader that allows you to review the URL and decide whether or not you want to visit it. It also checks its database of bad links to see if the link has been hijacked. Available in both the Apple & the Android stores.
- Protection for your home:
- Check out the Foscam Surveillance Pro app & get a cheap IP camera. This app works with a ton of different IP camera models and allows you to have up to 6 cameras on your phones screen at one time. It even includes a virtual onscreen joystick to control the camera’s movement. Zombies, Punks or cheating spouses can’t get by you with this handy dandy tool. Only available for Apple products.
- Tinycam Monitor Pro is just as robust as Foscam but with regular updates and was voted #1 rated surveillance app. The Android & Blackberry stores offer Tinycam Monitor pro.
- Protection for your Data:
- If you are like me and are constantly trying to hack your phone in some way, it’s not a surprise when you lose data. So, I recommend using services like DropBox, Box.net, or just use Google Drive and their document features & it is saved automatically.
- One of the best ways to protect your data doesn’t require a single app. Password protect your device & set it to auto-lock after a specified period of time. Each of these features are standard with most mobile devices and usually can be accessed within the Settings> Location & Security section of your device.
- Protection from Drops & Dirt:
- OtterBox Defender Series is one of the best ways to keep your device looking new. It has three robust layers of protection, a built in screen protector & port covers to keep dust and debris from your device.
- If you rock one of the OtterBox Commuter Series, Prefix Series or Reflex Series, check out this state of the art screen protector to compliment your case.
- If you need to clean your device prior to placing it in a case- I’m a big fan of keeping individual alcohol wipes around to do a quick swab of my device especially if you’ve had friends/children touching using your device. If you have screen protectors on your device, I recommend using a slightly dampened microfiber or lens cleaning cloth to wipe down the device.
I hope my tips help keep your mobile device safe from your daily adventure. If you are looking for more “Catastrophe/End of the World” tips check out this website http://www.ready.gov/natural-disasters.
11/22/1012 – Tech deals on Black Friday
In my opinion, Black Friday is one of the only things that make the holiday tolerable. It’s the one time of year that I can grow my personal video game arcade with consoles of every shape and size for a fraction of the cost. It’s also a time to ramp up on video games- PC, Console, Apps, and more. I’m more excited than when I decided bugs should be called random features.
Here are some awesome Holiday Deals that will delight your inner Geek.
• Best Buy is the mecca of gaming this Black Friday. I’m looking forward to expanding my set of video game options with one of these bundles.
• Microsoft Xbox 360- 250GB Console Holiday Bundle for $199.99
• Playstation 3 250GB Console Bundle for $199.99
• Wal-Mart has the perfect gift to give both yourself and your online crew- Xbox Live 3 month subscription card for $11.96. That’s a $13 savings.
• Amazon has some lightening deals going on all Black Friday week. Check out their game offerings here….Skylanders Starter Giant Kit is a Holiday Must!
For the PC Gamers or those that just don’t want to leave their kingdom, check out Steam’s Black Friday Sales. You can often find discounts up to 75% off for almost immediate use. My personal favorite is usually found in their Indie Bundle.
Now, off you go to purchase some new entertainment and when your family gives you a hard time for playing video games, just tell them that you aren’t anti-social; you’re just not user friendly.
11/21/2012 – Strategy games
Strategy games = mind challenging hours of fun. There are a number of first-rate games out on the market but few will keep your mind formulating more than these three. Build and defend entire cities in your spare time. And some people accuse you of not being productive?
“The battle for freedom is raging” and it’s up to you to use both magic and technology to save your empire. Magic isn’t just for impressing your friends; in Arcane Empires you use magic to build entire cities and armies as you rise to the title of Empire Hero.
If you like Angry Birds, and who doesn’t, then Fragger is the next addiction on your list. Fragger is a grenade-throwing game and your objective is to destroy all of your enemies with a limited number of grenades. Featuring 370 levels, and 12 different worlds I’d say you’ll be busy the rest of the week.
Clash of Clans is a strategy game and to win means you reign supreme. Raise an army of Barbarians, War Wizards, Dragons and combat against players all over the world. The Goblin King takes a break from the Labyrinth and comes to battle throughout the realm. Prove your clans skills in Clash of Clans.
11/8/2012 – Plot your course with Tiberius the Techie
If you’re like me, the Christmas season can stress you out. You get noisy relatives trooping through the house, shattering your precious peace and quiet and dragging you out into holiday traffic to purchase things that will hang in your closet until you can sneak them to GoodWill. While Quantum Tunneling sounds good in theory, it’s probably not the best way to get from A to B. So, here are a couple more options that put your favorite device to use.
Waze: Our very favorite GPS/Traffic App & Social Game. Waze gives you directions and monitors traffic conditions for others on the road at the same time. Waze is all about togetherness with your fellow drivers — after all, if we can’t commiserate over disgust of traffic, what can we agree on?
Inrix Traffic- the best feature of this app is the forecasting option. Pick any time within the next 8 hours and it will predict how long it will take you to reach your destination, using current & historical traffic data. The downside- they don’t actually give you turn by turn directions—but you probably don’t need directions anyway.
Sigalert- This app claims to save you time & money by featuring real-time road speeds, round-the-clock- traffic reports and the largest network of roadside traffic cameras in the U.S.
Or if you do get caught speeding due to heavy traffic, take a tip from Physicist Dmitri Krioukov and use math to prove how external forces caused the issue. Learn more about his paper entitled, The Proof of Innocence here.
11/1/2012 – nuqneH! Nerdy greetings from your phone!
Welcome to the biggest game of the year — World of Christmas. I know it isn’t as fun as jail-breaking your phone but we can get through this together. I’m Tiberius, named after the illustrious Capt. James T. Kirk. That’s right, I was born to go where no man has gone before — that doesn’t include the mall.
Likes: Improving my avatar, being smarter than anyone else in the room, coding easter eggs, writing fan fiction, and memorizing lines from my favorite shows. “Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle.”
Dislikes: Nubes, dead links, Sheldon Cooper, Scientology, IE6, booth babes, people who don’t get my references and the iPad.
Song: She Blinded Me With Science — Dolby (not the stereo, the guy)
Favorite Xmas Memory: The year I was able to make all of the neighborhood lights dance in synch to the Imperial March.
Holiday Survival Tip: Order early, online and from wish lists. Let others do the work.
Favorite Xmas Gift from the Past: My first robotics kit. Oh, K-9 how I miss you.
If you want to subscribe to my holiday tips or to find out about some of my friends, head over to our home page!
About the Author
Hi! I'm Storm resident technology freak and internet nut. I run Social and Online Content Strategy for OtterBox. I'm aggressively unfancy and not a member of the X-Men. I also write the Tiberious blogs for OtterBox.
More posts by this author | Follow on Google+